Founded in 1859, Wunder's Cemetery was originally known as First German Lutheran Cemetery. In 1912, it was incorporated as the German Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery Association. On October 19, 1919 it was renamed Wunder's Cemetery Association after Heinrich Wunder, pastor for over fifty years of First Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church. Wunder's Cemetery was operated jointly with First Immanuel Lutheran Church until the 1980s when First Saint Paul's became the sole trustee.
Wunder's Cemetery is located at 3963 N Clark on fourteen-and-a-half acres bounded by Irving Park Road on the north, Clark Street on the west, Stella Street (formerly Seminary Street) on the east, and the Hebrew Benevolent Cemetery on the south. Wunder's is located on a sandy beach ridge that provided good drainage and easy excavation.
A Chicago Genealogy Society (CGS) book lists the headstones, but not their locations within Wunder's Cemetery, and may be viewed at www.ancestry.com. Many of Wunder's and First Saint Paul's records are available on microfilm at the Newberry Library, 60 W Walton St, Chicago IL 60610.