Founded in 1859 as First German Lutheran Cemetery, Wunder’s Cemetery was renamed in 1919 after Heinrick Wunder who was pastor at First Saint Paul’s Lutheran Church for more than 50 years. It is now under the loving care of First Saint Paul's as sole trustee.
As such, a group of dedicated members organizes several Wunder’s Work Days each year where volunteers come together for general yard work like raking and trimming trees, and heavier tasks like moving soil and leveling headstones.
There’s no need to sign up in advance. Just arrive at the cemetery entrance on the NE corner of Irving Park and Clark St. around 9 a.m. on a Wunder’s Work Day, and look John (wearing a straw hat in these pictures) or John (wearing a yellow t-shirt).
Be prepared to get dirty, have fun and enjoy sharing the satisfaction of a job well done with fellow volunteers.